Emulating a cellular interface

Henry Linneweh hrlinneweh at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 10 23:51:36 UTC 2010

here are some modules that might help
http://www.pwsstore.com/cellularembeddedmodules.aspx

-henry

________________________________
From: Andy Davidson <andy at nosignal.org>
To: Saqib Ilyas <msaqib at gmail.com>
Cc: nanog at nanog.org
Sent: Sat, November 6, 2010 5:50:20 AM
Subject: Re: Emulating a cellular interface

On 6 Nov 2010, at 05:53, Saqib Ilyas wrote:

> A friend of mine is doing some testing where he wishes to emulate a
> cellular-like interfaces with random drops and all, out of an ethernet
> interface. Since we have plenty of network and system ops on the list, I
> thought we might have luck posting the question here. Is anyone aware of a
> simple tool to do this, other than rather involved configuration of
> iptables?

Not withstanding Mikael's comments that it shouldn't be lossy, at times when you

want to simulate lossy (and jittery, and shaped, and ....) conditions, the best
way I have found to do this is FreeBSD's dummynet :

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ipfw&sektion=8#TRAFFIC_SHAPER_(DUMMYNET)_CONFIGURATION

Andy