Migrating from PPP to DHCPo82

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Tue Nov 9 14:25:23 UTC 2010

On 11/9/2010 3:24 AM, MKS wrote:
> Can you elaborate a bit more on this issue? What is the difference
> between a low pool for PPPoE and DHCP?

That may be implementation specific, or a reference to high IP rotation
rates (which I like). PPPoE doesn't change it's IP as long as a
connection is established. DHCP can change at the half life of the lease
time. In my case, end systems which are currently busy will hold their
lease in 10 minute intervals (I think it's 10) until that transmission
is complete, and then it will renew to the new IP. There were a few
legacy systems which didn't like changing IPs with 1 hour leases, but
those are now obsolete and I haven't heard of a problem in years.

I expect new IPv6 support on CPEs to return to the old days of being
horribly broken and have to work their way up to sanely handling
renumbering (especially with DHCPv6-PD).

Jack