RINA - scott whaps at the nanog hornets nest :-)

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Mon Nov 8 23:14:13 UTC 2010

--- dot at dotat.at wrote:
From: Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at>

: I note that he doesn't actually describe how to implement
: a large-scale addressing and routing architecture. It's all
: handwaving.

There is more discussed in the book.  The paper was written by another person and had to only hit the highlights, or it'd be too long for folks to want to read.  I'd imagine you can get a copy of the book in a university library.

:And he seems to think that core routers can cope with per-flow state.

Can you elaborate for me?

: The only bits he's at all concrete about are the transport
: protocol, which isn't really where the unsolved problems are.

It wasn't about just solving problems.  It seems to me to be about if you could clean-slate design, what would you do?  AFAICT the RRG folks are specifically focused on fixing problems: map-n-encap and tunneling being the most liked solutions.

One similar thing to other proposals on that list, though, that has me wondering is the use of a 'server' in the middle to keep track of everything.

scott