RINA - scott whaps at the nanog hornets nest :-)

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Nov 8 21:51:12 UTC 2010

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 19:36:49 +0100, Mans Nilsson said:

> Given this empirical data, clearly pointing to the fact that It Does
> Not Matter, I think we can stop this nonsense now.

That's right up there with the sites that blackhole their abuse@
address, and then claim they never actually see any complaints.
Or forcing NAT at the edge, and saying "The fact we get no complaints
means It Does Not Matter", ignoring SCTP and similar use cases where
it *does* matter.

If in fact It Does Not Matter, why did the Internet2 folks make any
effort to support 9000 end-to-end?

http://proj.sunet.se/LSR2/index.html says they used an MTU of 4470.. and then
add "and we used only about half the MTU size (which generates heavier CPU-load
on the end-hosts)", which pretty much implies the previous record was at 9000 or
so.

So there's empirical data that It Does Indeed Matter (at least to some
people).