RINA - scott whaps at the nanog hornets nest :-)

Mans Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Mon Nov 8 11:38:53 UTC 2010

Subject: RE: RINA - scott whaps at the nanog hornets nest :-) Date: Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 12:34:56AM -0700 Quoting George Bonser (gbonser at seven.com):

> Yes, I really don't understand that either.  You would think that the
> investment in developing and deploying all that SONET infrastructure
> has been paid back by now and they can lower the prices dramatically.
> One would think the vendors would be practically giving it away,
> particularly if people understood the potential improvement in
> performance, though the difference between 1500 and 4000 is probably
> not all that much except on long distance ( >2000km ) paths.

Even if larger MTUen are interesting (but most of the time not worth
the work) the sole reason I like SDH  as my WAN technology is the
presence of signalling -- so that both ends of a link are aware of its
status near-instantly (via protocol parts like RDI etc). In GE it is
legal to not receive any packets, which means that "oblivious" is a
possible state for such a connection. With associated routing
implications.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668