Token ring? topic hijack: was Re: Mystery open source switching

Jeroen van Aart jeroen at mompl.net
Thu Nov 4 19:44:46 UTC 2010

Curtis Maurand wrote:
> Much of Maine is not covered by broadband and companies are still using
> dialup routers.  Much of the US (70%) is not covered by broadband and
> the only internet connection is dialup.

That is kinda bad, but to put it into perspective, you have free, or at
least one flat fee local calls in the US. Which is just the subscription
you pay each month (between $20-$30 per month for basic local call
connectivity).

In most if not all European countries (and likely most other countries
too) you pay a fee per time unit (say per minute) for local calls. Which
makes it prohibitively expensive to have an always on dialup connection,
or even more than a couple of hours a day.

I used an always on dialup connection for years here in the USA and I
liked it a lot, seeing as I came from a "pay per minute for local calls"
country.

Greetings,
Jeroen

--