IPv6 rDNS

Sven Olaf Kamphuis sven at cb3rob.net
Tue Nov 2 17:24:56 UTC 2010

>> I'm not sure there's consensus about whether forward and reverse ought
>> to match (how strong a "should" is that?).

that's pretty much of a "should" for IRC, and various anti-spam crap on
SMTP, furthermore, the entries should be (to a certain extend) unique
(hosted-by.provider.com resolving to everything you have and/or the other
way around (reverse) fucks things up ;)

I know you can't populate
> every potential record in a reverse zone, as in IPv4.

indeed.. ipv6 seems to call for some changes in the way dns servers handle
things... no more files people.. preferably no more "zones" either.
(never liked the concept of zones anyway ;)

if no database entry (cached in ram!) -> automatically generate one
based on ip (like a84-22-96-1.cb3rob.net. on ipv4 if there is no more
specific database entry for that ip present, such as www.customer.com))

(or just forget about reverse dns alltogether)

but then again, quite sure you already figured out bind and zone-based
(files) dns have had their days anyway.

just write a few lines of c or perl that talk to a database and cache
results in ram, if they can't find anything in ram with a recent enough
timestamp and there is nothing in the database or the database isn't
responding, just generate one based on the ip requested with your domain
added (or in-addr.arpa. added, works too, if you don't want -your-
domain in reverse dns (and therefore forward!) entries for customers, or
its equivalent for ipv6 ;)

yes, you -can- actually make A records in in-addr.arpa and its ipv6
equivalent, so there is no need to use -your- domain for it, and you can
still make unique -working- -valid- and resolving both ways entries for
each ip, also on ipv6, and generate them on the fly (although that
requires a move away from bind, don't think you want to load a zonefile
with a few billion entries, although generating it would not be such an
issue (loading and searching it would).

a84-22-97-10:~# nslookup 84.22.99.1
Server:         84.22.96.10
Address:        84.22.96.10#53

1.99.22.84.in-addr.arpa name = 1.99.22.84.in-addr.arpa.

a84-22-97-10:~# nslookup 1.99.22.84.in-addr.arpa
Server:         84.22.96.10
Address:        84.22.96.10#53

Name:   1.99.22.84.in-addr.arpa
Address: 84.22.99.1