IPv6 fc00::/7 — Unique local addresses

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Tue Nov 2 03:23:22 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 20:03 -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
> Interesting... I guess controlling your own internet fate hasn't been a
> priority for the companies where you've worked. Not one of my clients
> or the companies I have worked for has even given a second thought
> to approving the cost of address space once I presented the tradeoffs
> of PA vs. PI.

You know how you complained when someone moved the discourse to
residential when you mentioned enterprise and to enterprise when you
mentioned residential? At least I think it was you. Well, you're doing
it now :-)

It's not a one size fits all situation. There is no problem with some
people (typically "enterprise" types) being concerned about PI vs PA and
going one way, and someone else (typically "residential" types) not
being concerned about it and going another way. It's not really about
size, it's about the needs of the particular organisation (with
residential users just being very small organisations).

> The fees are not there to keep routes down. The fees are there to help
> the RIR recover the cost of maintaining the RIR and processing the
> application.

Whatever; a useful side effect of the fees is that they provide a
barrier to the uptake of PI by smaller organisations. Only those who can
justify the cost of PI (in whatever terms that make sense to them) will
go that way, and that will probably not be the many millions of
residential users, who will be quite happy to use PA.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer/                   +61-428-957160 (mob)

GPG fingerprint: B386 7819 B227 2961 8301 C5A9 2EBC 754B CD97 0156
Old fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF