Equinix of Candia?

Ryan Finnesey ryan.finnesey at HarrierInvestments.com
Tue Nov 2 02:53:36 UTC 2010

Thank you Richard your reply was very helpful.
Cheers
Ryan

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard A Steenbergen [mailto:ras at e-gerbil.net]
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2010 10:37 PM
To: Ryan Finnesey
Cc: NANOG list
Subject: Re: Equinix of Candia?

On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 06:31:34PM -0700, Ryan Finnesey wrote:
> Equinix only has one center within Toronto.  Is there someone with a
> larger number of centers across the country?

I'm assuming when you say "like Equinix" you mean a carrier neutral colo
where you can buy from, sell to, and interconnect with other networks in
an interesting fashion. If you're just looking for a place to stuff some
servers, the answer will be very different.

Canada is an odd market, with relatively little competition between
carriers (outside of a few locations), and most of the bandwidth
controlled by a few large incumbents. The biggest and most interesting
facility for carrier neutral services is 151 Front in Toronto, where
nearly every bit in the region goes. Switch and Data (now Equinix) is
one major colo and IX operator in the building, but there are many more,
and a building MMR. Technically this makes it more like a 111 8th than
an Equinix. :) In Montreal there is Canix (www.canix.ca), which operates
multiple facilities throughout the city, and is the defacto standard for
carrier neutral colo there. This is probably the closest thing you'll
find to an Equinix. If there is anything interesting going on in
Vancouver I haven't heard of it, but I don't know the market well enough
to say for certain. Everywhere else is either too small to care about on
a national scale, or is serviced by non-neutral colos (e.g. Peer1, etc).

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras at e-gerbil.net>
http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras