Junos Asymmetric Routing

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Fri May 28 15:30:19 UTC 2010

> We replaced our OpenBSD routers with these SRXes since they were supposed to
> be multifunction devices (gateways and routers at the same time) which was
> the selling point. So we expected them to do asymmetric routing and were
> told they could, easily, but apparently they are not acting normally and
> also the configuration is perfect according to JTAC.

It sounds like a mis-communication on everyones' parts.

I've come across plenty of systems-oriented people who believe the behaviour
of network edge devices is what you've said - because various hosts (eg
Linux) treat sockets, routing, ethernet active/standby, etc a specific way
and this is not how "traditional" routing/edge devices behave. :)

Adrian