BT strike could affect internet and phone connections

Steven Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Fri May 28 14:24:29 UTC 2010

On May 28, 2010, at 4:10 36AM, joel jaeggli wrote:

> On 2010-05-27 17:57, andrew.wallace wrote:
>> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 1:17 AM, joel jaeggli<joelja at bogus.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Not to put to fine a point on it, a normal working day is the best
>>> time to strike if you want to maximize the value of your attack.
>>
>> The point I'm getting at is this strike of this nature is a threat to
>> national security and the internet is supposed to be classed as
>> critical infrastructure, so shouldn't it be against the law for them
>> to strike?
>
> The phone system has been critical infrastructure for 120 years...
>
>> Or has the law in the UK not got as far as the United States has on
>> deeming what's critical infrastructure yet?
>>
>> We are far behind the United States and its about time we played
>> catch-up.
>
> I don't think a CWA strike has been declared illegal in recent history...

In general, strikes by telco, power company employees, etc., are legal in the US.  Under certain circumstances involving the national interest, the president can order workers back to their jobs for 80 days, after which they're free to walk out again.  The only people who can never strikes are public employees.