Junos Asymmetric Routing

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Fri May 28 13:15:09 UTC 2010

Ken Gilmour wrote:
> Yes I believe that would be the default if the session was initiated on the
> inside, but if it comes from outside on a particular interface which is not
> the default route, why would the router then send the packet out another
> interface? Should the device not route session-based traffic according to
> where it originated?

To my knowledge, routers don't generally route based on session. They
maintain flow information is cases, but you learn quickly that it's a
one way record, and the corresponding flows may have a different path.

There are exceptions, and perhaps some Junipers even support more
oddball session based routing, though my m120 and cisco don't seem to.

Jack