Junos Asymmetric Routing

Ricardo Tavares curupas at gmail.com
Fri May 28 01:21:05 UTC 2010

f the route announce is coming from the BGP neighbor you need to
verify if the next-hop indicated for this route is itself reached by
the router, if by recursion the router do not resolve how to go to the
next-hop then the announced route will be not available. THe bgp
sender must set the next-hop with a reachable address, sometimes this
is achieved by the sender using the next-hop-self in the export
policy, but it is possible other situations where the next-hop is
unreachable.

If the sender is using a specific address for all the next-hops for
all the announced routes you will need just a static route pointing to the
gateway for his next-hop. If the BGP session for some reasons goes
down then the default route will apply and the redundancy through ISP1
will work fine.

Best Regards,
Ricardo