Junos Asymmetric Routing

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Thu May 27 23:40:08 UTC 2010

On 5/27/2010 18:27, Ken Gilmour wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a very peculiar situation here that i seem to have difficulty
> explaining in such a way for people to understand. I just got off the phone
> to the Juniper Devs after about 4 hours with no result. They understand the
> problem but can't seem to think of a working solution (last solution led to
> the primary firewall hard crashing and then failing over after a commit
> (which also makes me wonder what made the primary crash and not the
> secondary)). I am wondering if there is anyone "creative" on the list who
> has encountered and worked around this problem before...
>
> Here goes *sigh*
>
> ISP1 - 1.1.1.0/24
> ISP2 - 2.2.2.0/24
>
> ISP1 is the default gateway, ISP2 is a backup provider but which is always
> active. Client comes in on ISP1's link, traffic goes back out on ISP1s link.
> Client comes in on ISP2's link (non default gateway) but for some reason,
> the packets seem to be going back out through the link for ISP1.

With the default gateway, that is the behaviour I would expect--I don't
see how the router could do otherwise.  (This assumes that source
routing is not being used.)

--
Somebody should have said:
A democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting
the vote.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca