Latency between GCI Anchorage and VZB in NY

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed May 26 15:38:57 UTC 2010

On Wed, 26 May 2010, Brad Beck wrote:

> I've been working diligently to improve performance of interactive
> applications (Citrix, terminal) that are run by users in our office
> located in Anchorage, and are served by a managed Internet connection
> provided by GCI.  Our applications reside in the Buffalo, NY area.

I don't know anything about your specific case... but with an 100% optimum
light-path you're looking at ~55 ms RTT between ANC-NYC (1ms RTT per
100km of fiber):

<http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=anc-nyc%0D%0A&RANGE=&PATH-COLOR=red&PATH-UNITS=km&PATH-MINIMUM=&SPEED-GROUND=&SPEED-UNITS=kts&RANGE-STYLE=best&RANGE-COLOR=navy&MAP-STYLE=>

Of course fiber very seldom goes direct path, so 124ms sounds plausable
and could most likely be improved by a little bit by choosing another
provider, but would that really substantially improve your interactivity
problem?

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se