Partial Use Of one Regions IP Block in another

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri May 21 04:21:51 UTC 2010

On May 20, 2010, at 9:13 PM, John Lee wrote:

> Some pseudo random thoughts and questions? (my BGP is rusty.)
>
> 1. Does it violate your AUP with APNIC?

Not if he has infrastructure in the remote location and infrastructure and/or HQ in APNIC region.

> 2. If the larger routing prefix is from APNIC will your upstream in the EMEA region filter or black hole the sub prefix since it is from APNIC and not RIPE and would appear to be a hijacked block? (In my experience in some European countries "rules" are more strictly enforced than in other areas of the globe. I will spare you the American, Russian and French standards organization joke.)

LoL... In my experience, the guys that are getting money from you will route what you want routed
unless they have reason to believe you are not legitimately entitled to route it.

> 3. It would appear that again since it is in an APNIC sub-prefix would you need to "carry" the packets from a PoP in APNIC region to your facility in the EMEA assuming the sub prefix is not large enough to be propagated in normal BPG updates?

If that is true, yes. i was assuming that he was using a sub-prefix length <=/24 for EMEA region. If he's trying to run a /25 or longer, then, life will indeed suck, but, not because of the RIR issues, because of the long-prefix problem.

> 4. And if the bits did get through for a period of time would the transit provider determine that they did not want to carry them any more and add filtering at any random point in time?

Unlikely if it's a legitimate route.  It wouldn't appear any less legitimate than any other route and there are many inter-regional routes advertised just like this already that work just fine.

> These questions assume that you do not have a single transit provider that covers both of your locations in the two different regions and can "custom route" the packets.

LoL

Owen