Partial Use Of one Regions IP Block in another

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Thu May 20 17:19:39 UTC 2010

Exactly.  So migrating to v6 has no bearing on the conversation.  The
same "problem" (a problem which some people create themselves by relying
on the source IP to determine geographic location) exists with either
protocol.  There is just no way to tell where the device initiating the
conversation is located by looking at the IP and the extent to which you
can tell by where the traffic enters your network depends on the
temperature of the potato as perceived by the network downstream from
you.  Did they haul it across an ocean before handing it to you?

Geographical location by IP address is just plain nuts, but people will
find a way to sell anything, I suppose.

George