useful bgp example

Vincent C Jones v.jones at networkingunlimited.com
Tue May 18 16:31:34 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 21:04 -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2010 19:15:01 EDT, Deric Kwok said:
> > My company will get 2 upstream provider. We will plan 2 routers and
> > each router to connect one provider to use bgp for redundant.
> > Do you have any useful bgp example and website to set it up?
>
> If your BGP clue is that low, I believe the entire NANOG community would advise
> you hire (even short-term if you can't afford a permanent) somebody who has
> successfully done this before to walk you through it and teach all the details
> to your staff.  With the current tanking of the economy, I'm sure there's
> plenty of qualified BGP experts out there who would *love* even a 3-month
> contract to get this all working for you.

At the risk of tooting my own horn, I concur with the recommendation to
hire some help, but if all you are lacking is BGP clue-full-ness your
challenge in getting help is finding someone clueful who is willing to
take a quick and dirty assignment which will barely cover the cost of
setting up a new client. The configuration itself is a one day task at
most, of which most will be spent grilling you to find out what your
_REAL_ requirements are to allow picking the appropriate canned solution
that can be adapted to meet your true needs.

If you need hand holding applying configurations, negotiating with
service provider, filling out paper work, testing without downtime
infliction, etc., then add more hours/days. Ditto if you've unfamiliar
with basic high availability concepts like single point of failure and
physical diversity. Ditto if your systems are not already set up in
paranoid mode from a security viewpoint (hint, if you can log directly
into your Internet facing router from where ever you are when on the
road, you are at an unacceptable level of risk).

Good luck and have fun!
--
Vincent C. Jones
Networking Unlimited, Inc.

DISCLAIMER: My business is built around helping my clients understand
that there is a lot more to improving network availability than just
getting a second service provider and turning on BGP. A few years ago I
wrote a book about what it takes and barely scratched the surface--the
example configurations are still on-line at www.networkingunlimited.com.