BGP and convergence time

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Wed May 12 21:30:04 UTC 2010

--- matthew at walster.org wrote:
From: Matthew Walster <matthew at walster.org>

On 12 May 2010 02:36, Scott Weeks <surfer at mauigateway.com> wrote:
> You set the timers on your side and the two sides negotiate then select the lowest timer settings.  The BGP session automatically hard resets on some equipment when changing the timers, so be aware of that.

Hold timers are negotiated in the OPEN message, I seem to remember, so
surely you *have* to hard reset the connection to get the lower
holdtime?

Of course you have to reset the session or it won't communicate the change, but what I wanted was to be able to soft-reset at my own convenience for the valuse to take effect.  The routers we use just hard reset as soon as I typed the command.  :-(

scott