SFP+ ER and ZR

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Tue May 11 23:40:54 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 04:24:42AM -0400, bas wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I thought ER and ZR SFP+ optics were not available (yet) due to power
> and cooling "challenges".
>
> However on this site: http://www.excelight.com/products/datalink/sfpplus.asp
> They offer both ER and ZR SFP+ optics.
>
> Has anyone used or tested with these? If so with which equipment?
> Or have you found other vendors of these optics?

They aren't (yet), these are vaporware. Many amnufacturers are close to
having reliable 40km optics, and several are making 20km+ overpowered
LRs, but ZR and DWDM are still a ways out. There are also some CWDM
units in the works, but because SFP+ doesn't support onboard EDC you
are limited by dispersion to 10km in the traditional 8ch 1470-1610nm
CWDM space over SMF28.