Dial Concentrators - TNT / APX8000 R.I.P.

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Tue May 11 15:29:06 UTC 2010

On 2010-05-11, at 11:08, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> There comes a time when the old tech just doesn't make sense, even
> if a small customer base still wants it.

There will also no doubt continue to be many customers for whom dial is the only option.

It's not long ago that I lived in such a house, deceptively close to the outskirts of town but in terms of wire distance and load coils it might as well have been on the moon. The house was in a wireless dead zone by a river, there was no cable, and the only line of sight to another structure was through several acres of 2.4GHz-absorbing trees.

The further you move away from urban centres, the easier it is to find examples of this.

Joe