Surcharge for providing Internet routes?

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Wed May 5 00:32:47 UTC 2010

I had one provider once that wanted to charge me a surcharge simply for
the privilege of running BGP.  The had "bgp charge" on their list of
things.  Well, we were dual-homed to them and I asked how in the world
they expected to fail traffic over if we *didn't* run bgb.  They should
be requiring I run bgp, not charging extra for it if they intend to meet
their own SLA.  Static routing to a dead link is a surefire SLA killer.
The sales rep got a little red.

As for a full table, no, I have not paid extra for it.