Emulating ADSL bandwidth shaping

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Tue May 4 21:00:00 UTC 2010

--- swmike at swm.pp.se wrote:
From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se>
On Tue, 4 May 2010, Scott Weeks wrote:

> "Interleaved" turned on to correct errors.  This adds ~25msec between
> the CPE and the nearest router.  Sometimes folks ask for it to be
> changed to "Fast".  We explain that errors may cause resyncs to happen
> and then make the change if the customer still wants it.  That takes the

: Never seen it cause resyncs, but that might happen, dunno.

It definitely causes the DSLAM port to resync sometimes.

: It is usually settable to 1,4,16 ms in each direction, so
: 25ms is not a "law of nature", it's just the default 16/4 ms
: downstream/upstream interleaving and then the added coding delay.

We have to set it high because of the OSP.  It goes through jungles.  Literally.  ;-)  Some areas get 25-30mph winds every day with 300-400 inches of rain a year.

http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/hawaii/preserves/art2363.html
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4054/4303747828_ce95aea13d.jpg

scott