Emulating ADSL bandwidth shaping

Frank Bulk - iName.com frnkblk at iname.com
Tue May 4 20:26:29 UTC 2010

We're an ISP that has four access technologies.  Both cable and DSL modem
link times are affected by configured rate and sync rate, respectively.

My home CM is at 15/1 Mbps and one-way latency is 4 to 5 msec.  My home DSL
modem is at 15/1 Mbps (with interleaving) and has a one-way latency of 15 to
16 msec.  And FTTH at 15/1 Mbps is about 2 msec.

In regards to burst mode, the cable modem file specifies how many bytes are
given that top speed, not time.  If the port is heavily utilized, "top"
speed may not be attained during that burst session.

Frank