Finding content in your job title

Michael Dillon wavetossed at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 31 14:46:29 UTC 2010

> For instance, I like to present myself as a 'network engineer'. I have
> never taken formal education, don't hold any certifications (well, since
> 2001), and can't necessarily prove my worth.

Be careful where you get the examples to model yourself upon.
For instance, you are in Canada and I think it is actually illegal
to call yourself and engineer unless you are licenced. And as
far as I know there is no licencing available for network engineers.

Where I work, there is a distinction between the network designers
who typically have CCIE certification, and the network operations
roles which may or may not have certifications. The hot shot
network guys are called 3rd level support.

Speaking as someone who has often interviewed people, I think
that job titles are pretty much inconsequential.

--Michael Dillon
Network Consultant