[Fwd: [members-discuss] [ncc-announce] RIPE NCC Position On The ITU IPv6 Group]

Eric Brunner-Williams brunner at nic-naa.net
Wed Mar 31 09:58:56 UTC 2010

That's odd. I was invited, by the US, but I'd scheduled CORE's
technical meeting in Dortmund the following week, and there is only so
much away time I can schedule while my wife is a 1L at Cornell Law, so
I sent my regrets.

The utility of going, as part of the US ISP delegation, and being
excluded from even observing, seems odd.

Anyway, the point of my question is how much clue is available when
and where policy is made, visibly in the neighborhood of zero through
ICANN's (and this is not drcs' fault, far from it) vehicle for ISP
participation in policy making. So what is it in the ITU playpen? The
value appears to be in the same range. I could be completely mistaken,
hence the question.

The short form of my contribution to the issues discussion is that
iso3166 in the IANA root solved a scaling problem (epoch==Jon Postel),
but left stateless peoples waiting for DNS Godot. A CIR model has the
same issue for v6 allocation, leaving the same peoples waiting for a
single v6 block Godot. Agreement is not mandatory.

Eric