Posting from freebie E-mail Accounts

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Wed Mar 31 08:23:24 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:42:46PM -0400, Andrew D Kirch wrote:
> I am proposing that the NANOG administration drop everything originating
> from commonly used webmail providers [...]

Bad idea.   While free webmail providers are prodigious sources of abuse,
they're not prodigious sources of abuse that makes it through to this list --
thanks to what I'm presuming is prudent configuration of the MTA and Mailman
instance involved in running it.

Additionally, some folks find that directing bulk, non-personal traffic
like mailing lists to free webmail accounts makes it easier for them to
participate.  (And as noted by others, it does seem to free us from
the meaningless, unenforceable, threatening disclaimers imposed by
some of the more clueless companies out there.)   If using those accounts
facilitates the participation of people who can contribute to the
community, then I see no reason at present to put up barriers to that.

---Rsk