Finding content in your job title

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Wed Mar 31 06:45:04 UTC 2010

I don't think it matters so much what you call yourself, but what job
role are you filling in the corporate org chart?  You might not be a
degreed engineer but if you are serving as the company's "Network
Engineer" then that is what you are.  I would say that would go as long
as the title is on a company business card and not a personal card.  I
would say that I would use the term "engineer" on a personal card only
if I were an engineer in my field of practice by certification or
degree.  In a company, though, my title is the role I fill within the
organization.

I tend to prefer the "architect" designation mainly because it describes
what I really do.  I design the network, specify the equipment, get it
all running, and am then happy to turn over the day to day operation to
someone else provided there is a someone else to do it.  My title within
my organization is Senior Network Engineer but I personally see my role
as Senior Network Architect and is what I would put on a personal card
and is how I "self identify".

George