Posting from freebie E-mail Accounts

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Wed Mar 31 06:38:07 UTC 2010

> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Steve Bertrand wrote:
>
>> On 2010.03.30 23:42, Andrew D Kirch wrote:
>>
>>> I am proposing that the NANOG administration drop everything
>>> originating
>>> from commonly used webmail providers,
>>
>> I oppose this proposal.
>>
>> There are very legitimate (and legal) reasons why people may want to
>> post to an operational list, using an address that can not tie them to
>> the location or business that they are posting from.
>>
>> This list does not see much spam (or at least I don't). That said, let
>> the list maintainers decide.
>
> I would much prefer if EVERYBODY used freebie email accounts as opposed to
> their corporate ones, as this would make it more likely that they would
> quote "correctly" and we would get less silly legal disclaimers and out of
> office messages.

Personally, I don't give a fsck about corporate tags and/or legal
notifications. My girl is a Federally certified Health and Safety Officer
and works within the Nuclear industry. Each email she sends me that
crosses her corporate Domino server contains about eight lines of
non-72-width crap which usually translates into twice the length of the
actual message.

Although she _can_ use my personal (or external, ie. freebie) email
services to relay out email from within her company, it likely isn't
something that she should be doing (although their internal IT policy
doesn't outright prohibit it...yet, or else I'd be the first to scream at
her).

The disclaimers, although annoying, to me are acceptable. Some enterprise
have strict guidelines on email/communication use. I would sooner see the
disclaimers as opposed to not have those valuable people not post at all.

> I don't use my work account for any mailing lists because it's totally
> useless for that purpose. I also will participate in these mailing lists
> regardless of my employer, thus I never understood why someone would want
> to post from their corporate accounts.

I feel that in many cases that there are very good reasons for posting
from such. Aside from the fact that some people post to ops/eng/rir/tech
etc lists from their corporate email address because of internal policy,
in many cases, I'd think that it makes sense that many postings to lists
are for work purposes directly. Almost all of mine are. Whether I send
from steveb at eagle.ca (my work email addr), steve at ibctech.ca or
steve at ipv6canada.com shouldn't matter.

I recognize your name Mikael, not your email address.

Regardless, disclaimers and legal fluff are easily discarded when replying ;)

Steve