Posting from freebie E-mail Accounts

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Mar 31 05:41:18 UTC 2010

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Steve Bertrand wrote:

> On 2010.03.30 23:42, Andrew D Kirch wrote:
>
>> I am proposing that the NANOG administration drop everything originating
>> from commonly used webmail providers,
>
> I oppose this proposal.
>
> There are very legitimate (and legal) reasons why people may want to
> post to an operational list, using an address that can not tie them to
> the location or business that they are posting from.
>
> This list does not see much spam (or at least I don't). That said, let
> the list maintainers decide.

I would much prefer if EVERYBODY used freebie email accounts as opposed to
their corporate ones, as this would make it more likely that they would
quote "correctly" and we would get less silly legal disclaimers and out of
office messages.

I don't use my work account for any mailing lists because it's totally
useless for that purpose. I also will participate in these mailing lists
regardless of my employer, thus I never understood why someone would want
to post from their corporate accounts.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se