Finding content in your job title

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 03:34:58 UTC 2010

Ok, let see. In several countries the use of the "title" engineer
applies to people that achieved a certain technical degree, I'm not
sure that applies uniformly but in Latin America using the engineer
title without having achieved that degree is illegal.

In other places such Italy it does not only require that you completed
the technical degree, you also must achieve certain level of
certifications.

Here in the US there are some particular type of "engineers" for which
the title is regulated, for example "civil engineer".

The IEEE says:

"The title, Engineer, and its derivatives should be reserved for those
individuals whose education and experience qualify them to practice in
a manner that protects public safety. Strict use of the title serves
the interest of both the IEEE-USA and the public by providing a
recognized designation by which those qualified to practice
engineering may be identified. The education and experience needed for
the title, Engineer, is evidenced by"
- Graduation with an Engineering degree from an ABET/EAC accredited
program of engineering (or equivalent*), coupled with sufficient
experience in the field in which the term, Engineer, is used; and/or
- Licensure by any jurisdiction as a Professional Engineer.
- A degree from a foreign institution (or the total education when one
person holds a graduate degree in engineering but no accredited B.S.
in engineering) can be evaluated through a service offered by ABET."

Not sure if there similar regulations that apply in Canada.

My .02
Jorge