Finding content in your job title

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Wed Mar 31 03:30:38 UTC 2010

On 3/30/2010 22:14, Steve Bertrand wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is perhaps a rather silly question, but one that I'd like to have
> answered.
>
> I'm young in the game, and over the years I've imagined numerous job
> titles that should go on my business card. They went from cool, to
> high-priority, to plain unimaginable.
>
> Now, after 10 years, I reflect back on what I've done, and what I do
> now. To me, if a business is loose-knit with no clear job descriptions
> or titles (ie. too small to have CXO etc), I feel that a business card
> should reflect what one feels is the primary job responsibility, or what
> they do the most (or love the most).
>
> For instance, I like to present myself as a 'network engineer'. I have
> never taken formal education, don't hold any certifications (well, since
> 2001), and can't necessarily prove my worth.
>
> How does the ops community feel about using this designation? Is it
> intrusive or offensive to those who hold real engineering degrees? I'm
> content with 'network manager', given that I still do perform (in my
> sleep) numerous system tasks and have to sometimes deal with front-line
> helpdesk stuff.
>
> Instead of acting like I'm trying to sell myself out, I'll leave out
> what I actually do and ask those who sig themselves with 'network
> engineer' what they do day-to-day to acquire that title, and if they
> feel comfortable with having it.

When the University I worked for went all touchy-feely and told us to
pick titles for ourselves I wanted to use "Savant".

They wouldn't let me, so I tried "Jack Of All Trades".

Vetoed.

So I just stayed with the cards I had that said Associate Director for
Telecommunications and Computers.

Which is about as void of meaning then and now as anything I have ever
heard of.

--
Democracy: Three wolves and a sheep voting on the dinner menu.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca

ICBM Targeting Information:  http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs