192.0.0.0/24

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Tue Mar 30 15:24:05 UTC 2010

On 29 Mar 2010, at 11:17, Lou Katz wrote:

> We recently were told to contact a client (via ftp) at 192.0.0.201. IANA lists this as
> Special Use, but refers to "RFC 3330 for additional information. http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3330.txt".
> This RFC says that it might be assigned in the future.

RFC 3330 was obsoleted with the publication of RFC 5735. I thought I'd updated all the references we made to RFC 3330 but if I've missed one I'd be grateful if you could point me to it.

> So, did the folks who sent us the IP address fat-finger, or has this been assigned?
> There does not appear to be any route to it.

192.0.0.0/24 is used for the IANA IPv4 Special Purpose Address Registry:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/iana-ipv4-special-registry/iana-ipv4-special-registry.xhtml

No assignments have been made yet but I'd strongly advise people not to use addresses in this range as a substitute for the space reserved in RFC 1918. It's likely to cause operational problems at some point in the future.

Regards,

Leo Vegoda