"Is TDM going the way of dial-up?"

Michael Sokolov msokolov at ivan.Harhan.ORG
Tue Mar 30 05:28:40 UTC 2010

Kevin Oberman <oberman at es.net> wrote:

> And, if you are using a 1988 TCP stack on a 4.3 system, you are not
> likely to ever efficiently utilize a higher speed link

What higher speed link?  I'm very happy with 384 kbps symmetric, using
SDSL as ARPANET replacement.  I have designed and built my own SDSL to
EIA-530 CSU/DSU so I can use a Cisco 2500 router instead of that nasty
new-fangled Netopia which has (oh horror!) RJ45 Ethernet instead of
proper AUI.  Oh, did I forget to mention that my Ethernet is coaxial?
To me all that UTP stuff isn't true Ethernet.

> and will not
> behave well on any link. TCP has come a long way in the past 12
> years. (Of course, I can't guess what "mostly unchanged" means.)

Backward compatibility rules!

MS