Auto MDI/MDI-X + conference rooms + bored == loop

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Mar 27 09:11:32 UTC 2010

On Mar 26, 2010, at 7:29 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 08:29:52PM -0500, James Hess wrote:
>> Most all switch manufacturers provide some type of  port security
>> feature that allows an  end-user connection port to automatically be
>> disabled and require admin intervention to re-activate, if the number
>> of MAC addresses exceed  a configurable number,   e.g. allow 5  MAC
>> addresses,  which are remembered as that port's list of  "secured"
>> MAC
>> addresses  with an aging time of  5 minutes.
>
> In fact, the last time this happened, I implemented exactly what you
> describe, mac-security with a limit of 5 MACs.  The security kicked in
> and shutdown the port, but not before the core shutdown the edge
> switch's uplinks (see below).
>
>> Use that function, and use the functions of a switch that provide
>> storm control  for client ports.  With a reasonable aging duration
>> for expiring secured MAC addresses.
>
> Have that.
>
>> If a  client port   emits packets with more than the expected number
>> of MAC address  sources within a short time,  then that  should be an
>> early warning that traffic has taken an improper path.
>
> Have that.
>
>> Keeping in mind a loop doesn't necessarily create an instant issue,
>> until there is other broadcast traffic on the network,  that crosses
>> the loop, and starts messing up the CAM table  on the upstream
>> device,
>> as well as possibly generating duplicate traffic.
>
> Which pretty much means within milliseconds on my network.

Sounds like you forgot to configure the "Root is that-way ->" sanity
check on your switches.  Make sure that Root bridge can't be
determined to be in a direction other than "upstream" will help
a lot with this.

>> But with port security, the number of devices that lose packets due
>> the loop should be limited   (the smaller you set the limit without
>> impacting legitimate use of the port,   the better).
>
> So basically, the problem is the core switches implement a proprietary
> loop-prevention protocol that sends "beacon" frames out every 500ms,
> and if a certain number of these special frames come back (exceeds
> threshold) it shuts down the port.  Even with a 10:1 ratio of

That's Icky... Can you replace that with traditional spanning tree?
It's just too sensitive for a deployment of any real size.

> threshold settings on the two redundant links to the edge switch, it
> still trips both thresholds fast enough that both redundant links get
> shutdown in the short time before the edge switch's protection
> mechanism (mac-security, STP, bpduprotect, whatever) kicks in.  I've
> now set the ratio to 100:1 (500:5 in actual packet counts) and the
> transmit interval to 1000ms in the hopes that at least one core link
> will survive long enough for the edge port to shutdown and break the
> loop first, but I'm beginning to think that this protocol is crap and
> I should just disable it and let the core ride out the loop in the
> hopes that it survives without taking down the entire core before the
> edge switch shutdown happens.

Yes, I think that would be much better. (Of course, another alternative
would be traditional spanning tree, or, some variant of STP with
faster timers).

> The good news is that this core is being replaced soon, hopefully with
> gear that will be able to implement a service-provider-like design
> with per-port VLAN separation as was suggested in this thread.  But it
> surprises me that low-end switch vendors (like NetGear) still put out
> crap that doesn't do STP, especially when the switch does Auto
> MDI/MDI-X, which is just asking for trouble.

Usually people don't use Netgear cheap switches in environments with
more than a desktop worth of topology.

> Anyone know if Auto MDI/MDI-X is inherent or required in 1000Base-T?
> It would be nice if I could shut it off.

Yes, it is. (This is actually a good thing in everyone else's
environment).

Owen