IPv4 ANYCAST setup

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Fri Mar 26 17:15:11 UTC 2010

On 2010-03-26, at 10:04, Owen DeLong wrote:

> It doesn't require an unstable routing table.  There is a small set of
> locations that could hit routers with multipath that may "balance"
> the anycast packets down divergent paths.
>
> Essentially, these are the topological midpoints between any two
> (or more) anycast servers.

As with most things, there are risks and benefits to distributing services using anycast. There are also risks and benefits from not doing so.

Far too many words to bother people with here on this list, but the ;login: article I include a link to earlier (<http://www.usenix.org/publications/login/2008-02/openpdfs/abley.pdf>) attempts to discuss ways in which people can decide whether anycast suits their own particular circumstances ("Horses for Courses").

Joe