"Is TDM going the way of dial-up?"

Frank A. Coluccio frank at fttx.org
Fri Mar 26 16:10:37 UTC 2010

   re: "what is the state of voip-over-cellular as essentially the last
   holdout
   of TDM? Will the new 4G stuff be able to support latencies, etc? Has
   the
   work on handovers-over-IP matured enough that it's viable?"
   One of the biggest hurdles in bringing Ethernet to mobile/cellular apps
   has been its lack of synchronous capabilities. This is now being
   overcome
   in a variety of ways, both IETF-instigated and at IEEE, and through
   some
   proprietary solutions where vendors are re-introducing system clocking.
   See
   my footer note <fac:> that addresses this subject at the bottom of
   [1]this message.