"Is TDM going the way of dial-up?"

Olsen, Jason jolsen at devry.com
Fri Mar 26 15:44:26 UTC 2010

> From: Rick Ernst [mailto:nanog at shreddedmail.com]

> an even bigger bite out of DS-3.  The bigger pipes seem to favor
> ethernet. A recent upgrade from OC-3 to GigE transport actually saved
us a large
> chunk of money.

We recently had exactly the opposite experience, unfortunately.  During
relocation of our datacenter we asked our MPLS WAN provider to provide
GigE transport rather than the multiple OC-3s we were using today. To us
it seemed like it would be cheaper - GigE interfaces, even WAN-PHY rated
ones, were orders of magnitude cheaper than SONET.  Unfortunately the
provider came back with absolutely outrageous costs for the port,
claiming they had to do non-standard agreements with incumbents to
provide the lines to us (despite the amount of circuits already in the
site).

This may be more a function of that particular provider, however.