"Is TDM going the way of dial-up?"

Bret Clark bclark at spectraaccess.com
Fri Mar 26 15:34:57 UTC 2010

   Steve Meuse wrote:

I'm wondering if others are seeing the same behavior, if it's
market-dependant, or if I'm just imagining things.  I'm working on building
new infrastructure and my current thoughts are to minimize my TDM
footprint.  It would be useful to get a better feel if this is an overall
trend or something local.

You aren't imagining things. In fact, some large national networks have been des
igned to support solely ethernet. It comes down to cost, as always....

-Steve

   Actually, a lot of people would be shocked at just how much VoIP is now
   used to transport voice with TDM only occurring at the last mile and in
   many cases at the last foot. Anyone designing a voice infrastructure
   would be best to design it for VoIP. Your ROI is much much greater. If
   you need to use TDM, then do so only at the edge as close to the TDM
   equipment as possible.
   Of course if you are going to use VoIP through-out an infrastructure it
   certainly is a good idea to get familiar with QoS provisioning.
   Bret