IPv4 ANYCAST setup

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Fri Mar 26 13:55:20 UTC 2010

Max Larson Henry wrote:

>     > has someone experience in anycast ipv4 networks (to support DNS)?
>
>     "Never been done" "Dangerous" "TCP does not work" etc etc etc.
>

> - Yes but as for DNS, anycast is essentially used for user requests
> (UDP) not to perform zone transfer(TCP).

Also that would work, unless you have a very unstable routing table that
makes the node swap all the time.

Please also note that if a DNS answer does not fit inside a a UDP packet
(default 512, MTU with EDNS0) that the fallback is TCP mode...

John Payne wrote:
[..]
> Can't really tell if you're being serious here due to caffeine
> underrun.

As it is already almost 15:00 in Europe (and it is a friday), take a
guess ;) Also note the next line I wrote and the point to the google,
which you now have done for the person, who probably is also having a
lazy friday afternoon ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen