Earthquakes

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Wed Mar 24 20:32:49 UTC 2010

Something to keep in mind is that raw magnitude isn't the whole story. The
ground composition is *much* more important when it comes to destructiveness.
A 5.0 earthquake in the Netherlands might be extremely damaging because of
liquifaction. Also: California since we get quakes all the time, our rock is
more "shattered" which damps the seismic waves. Back east, on the other hand,
the bedrock is more solid which is why the New Madrid earthquakes traveled
so far (ringing bells in Boston, IIRC). Of course New Madrid were huge
earthquakes by any standard.

Mike