IP4 Space

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Wed Mar 24 04:04:41 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 02:24:45PM +1030, Mark Newton wrote:

> On 24/03/2010, at 1:46 PM, <bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com> wrote:
>

> > tell me Mark,
> >
> > 	when will you turn off -all- IPv4 in your network?
>
> I don't imagine there'll be a date as such;  We'll just enable
> IPv6 versions of the services you've mentioned on equipment which
> supports it, and note that over time the number of systems still
> using v6 to perform those functions diminishes.

	so 10+ years then... since most of those systems are not ported
	to IPv6 yet, even in alpha-stage software.  I still am interested
	in what the AU legal requirements for data retention are regarding
	traceablity of records.  Seven years?  or was it ten?  Can you afford
	to purge legally mandated data records just because you move to new
	transport?

> > 	simple switching of datagrams over non-v4 transport is trivial.  th O&M behnd
> > 	running production is a slightly longer path and the legal requirements these
> > 	days didn't exisit a decade ago.  Chris was optimistic at 10+ years.
>
> There seems to be an assumption that continuing to run v4 on a v6 internet
> will be free, or at least cheap.
>
> I don't think it will be.  I think it'll rapidly become horrendously expensive
> in operational support terms, and that we'll all see significant pressure from
> our CFOs and CTOs to get rid of it well before the ten-year estimate expires.

	perhaps - the horrendously expensive costs come with dual-stacking.
	and it is true that the least costly systems will gain market share,
	be it v6 or v4...  both will be using NAT and NAT-like technologies
	(reference the doubleNAT discourse from our friend Nathan Ward and the
	active discussion in the IETF on "simple security")

> ... and if we don't, our customers will.

	in my experience with networks running IPX, Appletalk, DECnet, DECnet-PhaseV,
	VTAM and IP... customers could cre less about the transport protocol.  Can
	they get to the things they want and in a timely fashion is the obvious
	criteria.