IP4 Space

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 00:42:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Stan Barber <sob at academ.com> wrote:
> In this case, I am talking about an IPv6<->IPv6 NAT analogue to the current IPv4<->IPv4
> NAT that is widely used with residential Internet service delivery today.

I don't necessarily see 6-6 nat being used as 4-4 is today, but I do
think you'll see 6-6 nat in places. the current ietf draft for 'simple
cpe security' (draft-ietf-v6ops-cpe-simple-security-09.txt) is
potentially calling for some measures like nat, not nat today but...

> I believe that with IPv6 having much larger pool of addresses and each residential
> customer getting a large chunk of addresses will make  IPv6<->IPv6 NAT unnecessary. I
> also believe that there will be IPv6 applications that require end-to-end communications
> that would be broken where NAT of that type used. Generally speaking, many users of

I think you'll see apps like this die... quickly, but that's just my opinion.

> the Internet today have not had the luxury to experience the end-to-end model because of
> the wide use of NAT.
>
> Given that these customers today don't routinely multihome  today, I currently believe
> that behavior will continue. Multihoming is generally more complicated and expensive

That's not obvious. if a low-cost (low pain, low price) means to
multihome became available I'm sure it'd change... things like
shim-6/mip-6 could do this.

> than just having a single connection with a default route and most residential customers
> don't have the time, expertise or financial support to do that. So, the rate of multihoming
> will stay about the same even though the number of potential sites that could multihome
> could increase dramatically as IPv6 takes hold.
>
> Now, there are clearly lots of specifics here that may change over time concerning what
> the minimum prefix length for IPv6 advertisements might be acceptable in the DFZ (some
> want that to be /32, other are ok with something longer). I don't know how that will change
> over time. I also think that that peering will continue to increase and that the prefix
> lengths that peers will exchange with each other are and will continue to be less
> constrained by the conventions of the DFZ since the whole point of peering is to be
> mutually beneficial to those two peers and their customers. But, that being said, I don't
> think residential customers will routinely do native IPv6 peering either. I think IP6-in-IPv4
> tunneling is and will continue to be popular and that already makes for some interesting
> IPv6 routing concerns.

I firmly hope that ipv6-in-ipv4 dies... tunnel mtu problems are
horrific to debug.
(we'll see though!)
-chris