Using private APNIC range in US

Graham Beneke graham at apolix.co.za
Sun Mar 21 05:42:53 UTC 2010

On 19/03/2010 06:04, Matt Shadbolt wrote:
> I once had a customer who for some reason had all their printers on public
> addresses they didn't own. Not advertising them outside, but internally
> whenever a user browsed to a external site that happened to be one of the
> addresses used, they would just receive a HP or Konica login page :)

I have seen quite a number of organisations using /24s that they have
pirated from various places. Worst culprits seem to be small access
providers who change upstream providers and are too lazy to renumber
their corporated network away from the IPs that have been reclaimed.
They stick in a NAT and then ignore the problem for a few years.

One particular company insisted that their pirate IP block be routable
within the shiny new core network causing endless headaches making sure
it doesn't leak into their BGP.

Another ISP is even using oops-I-thought-that-was-RFC1918-addresses in
the vicinity of 172.50.x.x and pirate space from 6.7.8.x for their point
to point links.

--
Graham Beneke