NSP-SEC

William Pitcock nenolod at systeminplace.net
Sat Mar 20 18:37:58 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-03-20 at 20:30 +0200, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010, William Pitcock wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2010-03-19 at 08:31 -0500, John Kristoff wrote:
> >> An ongoing area of work is to build better closed,
> >> trusted communities without leaks.
> >
> > Have you ever considered that public transparency might not be a bad
> > thing?  This seems to be the plight of many security people, that they
> > have to be 100% secretive in everything they do, which is total
> > bullshit.
> >
> > Just saying.
>
> How exactly would being transparent for the following help Internet
> security:
>
> "I am seeing a new malware infection vector via port 91714 coming from the
> IP range of 32.0.0.0/8 that installs a rootkit after visiting the web page
> http://www.trythisoutnow.com/.  In addition, it has credit card and pswd
> stealing capabilities and sends the details to a maildrop at
> trythisoutnow at gmail.com"
>
> The only upside of being transparent is alerting the miscreant to change
> the vector and maildrop.

That is not what I mean and you know it.

What I mean is: why can't anyone contribute valuable information to the
security community?  It is next to impossible to meet so-called 'trusted
people' if you're new to the game, which is counter-productive.

If you're a 15 year old kid and you just discovered a way to own the
latest IOS, for example, how do you know who to tell about it?

William