Using private APNIC range in US

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Thu Mar 18 17:16:21 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Jaren Angerbauer's message of Thu Mar 18 09:22:40 -0700 2010:
> Thanks all for the on / off list responses on this.  I acknowledge I'm
> playing in territory I'm not familiar with, and was a bad idea to jump
> to the conclusion that this range was private.  I made that assumption
> originally because the entire /8 was owned by APNIC, and just figured
> since the registrar owned them, it must have been a private range. :S
>
> It sounds like this range was just recently assigned -- is there any
> document (RFC?) or source I could look through to learn more about
> this, and/or provide evidence to my client?

There's a couple of relevant documents you could refer them to:

IANA's IPv4 Address Space Registry ( http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/ ),
which will show you a listing of which registries and various entities
are assigned /8 chunks of IPv4 space.
There's some interesting names and historical registrations in there
(including 1.0.0.0/8's recent allocation to APNIC)

There's also an RFC, RFC1918 that sets aside some IPv4 space for
private, ad-hoc use.
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1918.html

This is also a good lay reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network