Latency quesstion

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Thu Mar 18 15:07:14 UTC 2010

On 3/18/2010 09:56, Dennis Dayman wrote:
> have a friend who has 21 floors of a building in DFW, multiple
> switches, etc and they started to have latency issues this weekend
> where half if not all packet are being dropped to folder shares,
> printers, etc. Suggestions on how they can troubleshoot that? call in
> a company to help identify it?

I'd start with a map of the network mark the routes (paths) that work.

Then redraw the map without those paths and mark which stations talk to
which other stations.

If that exercise discloses which equipment is broken, fix or replace it
and start over.

If it does not, and no other you-can-do-it-yourself tests or analyses
come to mind, call for expensive help.

(If they are competent, they will use an orderly analysis--that one is
my favorite--I call it sectionalization.  I'm not bright enough to deal
with 21 floors.  I have to sectionalize it to a particular horizontal or
vertical before I can figure where to start.)

--
Democracy: Three wolves and a sheep voting on the dinner menu.
(A republic, using parliamentary law, protects the minority.)

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca

ICBM Targeting Information:  http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs