Using private APNIC range in US

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Mar 18 16:12:07 UTC 2010

1.0.0.0/8 is NOT private address space and never was.

It was an arbitrary mis-use by your customer of space which is now
part of the APNIC pool of addresses to issue in response to requests
for new globally unique addresses.

The result for your customer is that they've gotten away with treating
it like RFC-1918 space (10/8, 172.16/12, 192.168/16) so far because
there was no legitimate external use of that address.

RFC-1918 in ARIN is the same as everywhere else. There is no region-
specific aspect of it.

What will happen if your customer does not renumber out of 1/8 is that
there will be a portion of the internet rightfully using 1/8 that will be
unreachable from your customer's internal systems and any requests
to those legitimate hosts in 1/8 will be erroneously routed within your
customer's premises.  There are other possible issues if your cusotmer
leaks DNS entries containing A records pointed towards 1/8 hosts
as well.

Hope that helps.

Owen