anti-ddos test solutions ?

gordon b slater gordslater at ieee.org
Wed Mar 17 08:07:40 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 07:45 +0100, jul dit:
> But a solution to test basic attack (synflood, slowloris, socktress,
> ...) with 10 to hundred computers would be interesting, so not a tool
> but more a service.
>
> Found only Parabon [1] on Google
>
> Does someone know something similar ?

If you have access to a large enough network in a campus-size
establishment, try booting a large room (100+) full of desktop PCs with
a live CD/USB and script (or clusterSSH) some hpings, blind netcats
(large file as input), iperfs or nmap+nmapscripting) through a _good_
switch stack. Set a low mtu on the interfaces for maximum pps.

Please remember to fully air-gap it (and the redundants) from the cloud
and the rest of the campus backbone in case you have thick fingers
entering the target - your upstream might be tempted to ring you on the
BatFone in a hurry. That gets embarrassing, as a friend of mine found
out in December last year.

Other than that, I suspect it's going to cost you for "real" kit :(
Depends how "real" you need it I guess.

Kiddies seem to be able to do it with E1/T1-sized pipes so it should at
least be better than waiting for one to come your way naturally :)

regards
Gord

--
gurgle. gurgle-splat. splat. splat. sploo-oo-oshhh = rommon