Network Naming Conventions

gordon b slater gordslater at ieee.org
Tue Mar 16 08:46:53 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 18:51 -0400, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
>  but they just don't realize how many there are.

wow, deja-vu !

A few years ago I went into a large SSI infrastructure undergoing
reconfiguration where the cluster nodes were named along the lines of
biscuits, pizzas, vegetables, sweets (candies), types of mud/dirt, grit,
etc etc  - it made no sense until I came across a README_NOC_OPS
document that clarified it all (paraphrasing):

"Serviceable nodes have are named after fragments known to be found in
Richard M. Stallman's beard.
At-risk, scheduled-for-pull or questionable throughput nodes are named
after fragments assumed to be found in Ballmer's shorts. "

Both categories seemed at least 128-bit-space to me :)

Gord
--
Do you know? Don't you wonder?
What's going on down under you